The restoration of Berkel slicers and scales involves a work of great professionalism and passion, and it is with passion that in the 90s we began to restore these wonderful objects.
The restoration of a slicer begins with the evaluation of the general conditions, the missing worn parts are restored with original vintage pieces or new ones (blade, bearing sharpening stones, etc.), but our goal remains to replace as little as possible in order to have a more original and authentic object, as the replacement of original parts would lead to a depreciation of the historical value.
Once the slicer has been completed in all its parts and is fully functional, we proceed with the disassembly phase and an initial cleaning of the various components. The metal parts that need to be painted are sandblasted and then entrusted to our coachbuilders specialized in the painting of antique objects. The painting is done in “direct gloss” without using “transparent paint”, exactly as Berkel did, as it did not exist at the time. We can proudly say that we are among the few European restorers who do not use clear varnish.
CHROMING AND NICKELING
The metal parts that must be chromed or nickel-plated must be entrusted to a laboratory specialized in the processing of antique pieces, which intervenes with micro sandblasting, polishing and copper plating in several stages. The following baths are nickel-plating for the nickel-plated pieces and nickel-plating and chrome-plating for the chromed pieces.
The next phase is that of the decorations, made by hand, copying the original ones to perfection. Even the decorations are not protected with transparent varnish, but a procedure is used that still guarantees great resistance to wear.
We are almost at the end: we begin the reassembly phase of all the pieces, check the functionality of each component and finally carry out the final testing.
WARRANTY AND CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY
Berkel is ready: each slicer is accompanied by a photographic reportage to give the customer a documentation of the work done.
We issue a 5-year guarantee on operation and a Certificate of Authenticity with the list of replaced parts.
To give the utmost fidelity in considering of the historical period of the machines without injuring their full efficiency; consequently:
• we use spare parts and brand labels varnished with original paints as the result of our constant, meticulous and laborious research in every part of the world;
• when it is necessary, we manufacture the parts worn out by the times, using our best artisan knowledge and love;
• we do kiln varnishing, rejecting any transparent varnishes peremptorily, considering they did not exist in the time the machines we are look forward are referred;
• we make every decoration by hand, rejecting peremptorily the use of adhesives or the use of any airbrush;
• we issue the authenticity certification proven by copies of original drawings;
• we warrant their perfect working for a five year period.
• To have complete information on our slicers for sale, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
The phases of the Restoration
In this area we report all the sequences of the main activities of the restoration.
As an example we illustrate the restoration of a Berkel Flywheel Model 3 slicer, produced from 1915 to 1924.
Decoration of the base
L’Officina dei Ricordi
di Ronchei Giuliano e C. s.a.s.
phone: 0039 0521 336341
Cell. 0039 338 2060215
via J.B.Boudard n.4/2
43038 Sala Baganza (Parma)
via Dante n.12
43038 Sala Baganza (Parma) Italia